Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Where is the Middle of Nowhere

Where will we go, is the most often question that I am asked when I say I'm heading off to Scotland for a week.

Everyone immediatly thinks of Edinburgh, Glasgow, Invernes etc... All the places that they may have heard of in the news or seen on a map.

When I say we are going to Northern Scotland and start mentioning such places as Mey, Wick, and John O'Goats (I want to go there just to see why a place is named after someones Goat) you get a blank stare. Then I say Northern Scotland, and again a blank stare.

Then I say I'm going where we are least likely to find a bunch of tourist. And then the eyes light up, oh you mean the middle of nowhere. Yup that is where we are going to go.

Except the middle of nowhere is always somewhere to those that live there. And what we have found in our travels is that the people who live in the middle of nowhere tend to know all the neat things to do and see. Thus, we are really going somewhere, just it is nowhere.

So what do you do when you go to nowhere? Well you find all the neat quaint things that make it really somewhere.

So that is what we will be doing. Searching out the uniqueness that makes nowhere really somewhere.

So are there castles in the middle of Nowhere? Why yes there are. The one that I am particularly interested in visiting is the Castle of Mey. As you can see it is a grand estate. But the thing that intrigues me the most is that it was one of the favorite places of the Queen Mother. A lady whom I greatly admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment